Alabama has 11 remaining historical covered bridges. They are:
Alamuchee-Bellamy Bridge in Livingston in Sumter County. An 88-foot span built in 1861. Moved to the University of West Alabama campus in 1971.
Clarkson-Legg Bridge in Bethel in Cullman County. A 270-foot span built in 1904 over Crooked Creek. Burned and rebuilt in 1920. Now open to walking traffic.
Coldwater Bridge in Oxford in Calhoun County. A 60-foot span over an inlet in Oxford Lake. Built sometime from 1839-1850. Moved to Oxford Lake Park in 1990. The oldest remaining covered bridge in Alabama.
Easley Bridge in Rosa in Blount County. A 95-foot span over built in 1927 over Dub Branch. One of Blount’s three covered bridges restored and re-opened to traffic in 2012.
Gilliland-Reese Bridge in Gadsden in Etowah County. An 85-foot span built in 1899 and moved to Noccalula Falls Park in 1967. Originally located on the plantation of Judge H. Ross Gilliland over Little Wills Creek in Reece City (the spelling of the bridge was changed to “Reese”).
Horton Mill Bridge in Oneonta in Blount County. A 220-foot span built in 1934 over the Calvert Prong in the Warrior River. At 70 feet above the water, it is the highest covered bridge over any U.S. waterway. One of Blount’s three covered bridges restored and re-opened to traffic this year.
Kymulga Bridge in Childersburg in Talladega County. A 105-foot span built in 1861over Talladega Creek. Restored in 1974 along with the Kymulga Park grist mill.
Old Union Crossing Bridge in Mentone in DeKalb County. A 90-foot span on private property over the Little river. Built in Calhoun County in 1863 by Union troops for access over Otter Creek, now a dry bed. It was moved to its current location in 1972.
Salem-Shotwell Bridge in Opelika in Lee County. A portion of a bridge damaged in 2005 by a falling tree. Originally built as a 76-foot span over Rocky Brook in 1900, a 43-foot portion was rebuilt from the ruins and installed at Opelika Municipal Park.
Swann Bridge in Cleveland in Blount County. This324-foot span built in 1933 over the Black Warrior River is the longest in state. One of Blount’s three covered bridges restored and re-opened to traffic in 2012.
Waldo Bridge in Waldo in Talladega County. A 115-foot span built in 1858 over Talladega Creek. Now located behind Old Riddle Mill, which was converted to a restaurant.
To see the article, go to: http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2013/07/alabamas_11_existing_historica.html