More frozen pops, an Uptown celebration, and a sneak peek at Birmingham Restaurant Week.
If you missed any of those stories from the Birmingham food beat this past week, here’s your Sunday roundup.
– 80 Pops, a small Irondale business with big plans to grow nationwide, has dipped into the frozen pops market, with a fleet of 10 push carts and a couple of trucks now out on the streets of Birmingham.
Go here to find out more about some of those 80 flavors – from sweet corn to mango-habanero cheesecake.
– Birmingham Restaurant Week 2014 doesn’t begin until Aug. 15, but on Wednesday night, guests may get a taste of what to expect at a preview party at the Birmingham Museum of Art.
Go here to find out which restaurants will be there, and how you may get tickets.
– Bonefish Grill at the Riverchase Galleria in Hoover has added 20 new items to its menu, from lobster grilled cheese to ahi tuna steak.
Go here to check out the new appetizers, entrees, drinks and desserts.
– Birmingham’s Uptown entertainment district celebrated its official grand opening with a street festival featuring dishes from all seven of its restaurants.
Go here to read more about Eat Up: A Taste of Uptown.
More food news from this past week:
– Blackwell’s Pub in Cahaba Heights reopened Thursday after being closed since late May because of damage caused by a kitchen fire that started in the adjoining Ashley Mac’s bakery and café.
Blackwell’s, which is open for lunch and dinner seven days a week, also has added a few new dishes to its menu.
The address is 3151 Green Valley Road, and hours are 11 a.m. to midnight Mondays through Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, and 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays.
– Wasabi Juan’s – whose menu features sushi burritos, ceviche tacos and spicy tuna nachos – is now open for lunch and dinner in Avondale.
Hours are 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, 11 a.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays, and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sundays.
Wasabi Juan’s is at 4120 Third Ave. South, behind Saw’s Soul Kitchen and adjacent to the Avondale Brewing Company outdoor stage.
To read more stories by Bob Carlton, go here. For more Birmingham entertainment news, go here.